Table of Contents
Best Pillow for Neck Pain
It is common to experience neck pain when you’re asleep. Sometimes, changing positions are a great help. Doctors have advised sleeping on the side to avoid neck pain. But it’s not the only factor which would solve your cervical woes. Another factor is the kind of pillow you use. Using a good quality pillow for neck pain which supports your neck while you’re asleep is a savior.
Choosing a pillow is a significant factor which plays a major role in treating people with chronic neck pain. To get more comfort, and avoid disruptions in your sleep, choose a pillow providing adequate relief and support. However, if you get a wrong pillow, it would adversely affect the sleeper. Excessively thick pillows affect the distance between the spine and neck and using too thin pillows puts a strain on the neck. Curious about what’s the best pillow for neck pain?
We’ve listed below some of the best options.
TOP 5 PILLOWS FOR NECK PAIN QUICK VIEW
BEST 5 PILLOWS FOR NECK PAIN 2019
Xtreme Comforts Pillow – Best Pillow For All Sleeping Positions
It is ideal for sleeping in all positions: side, back, stomach. You can adjust the thickness, within no time convert it into flat, fluffy or in the middle as per your wish. Use this, and fall asleep within no time, sleep better than you ever have before.
They are environment-friendly too since they don’t have ozone depleters, mercury, lead, and heavy metals. Be least bothered about the neck pain at night that your family goes through since we’ve already taken care of it. Since it is as soft as a cloud; as a result, it provides high air circulation and breathability.
- It is completely clean all the way through; allergy sufferers can heave a sigh of relief. It has premium quality certified foam which would never go flat; thus, you won’t have to worry about replacing them anytime soon.
- Comforts Pillow is fully machine washable so that you can clean all the way through without much effort. While cleaning, you can remove the Zippered Cover and toss it separately.
Pros & Cons:
- It is one of the best pillows for neck pain because it uses the Micro-Vented Kool-Flow Technology Bamboo cover which regulates the temperature, providing you with the experience of the best sleep.
- Using this pillow leads to reduced pressure points, provides relaxation to the muscles, and balances the blood flow, as a result, takes care of the overall health.
- For allergic people, this is the best neck pain pillow available online. It is mold resistant, hypo-allergenic, dust mite resistance, and comfortable.
So, what is keeping you waiting? Go grab the best deal by clicking on the link given below. Allergy sufferers hear us out! NO NEED to compromise your comfort. You deserve the best bed pillows, and that’s what we’re offering here. Comfort, support, and durability of the customers are what we aim for. It’s time to wave goodbye to the irritating neck pain at night and welcome the excellent health.
Consumer reviews of Xtreme Comforts Pillow include comments such as:
- Best pillow I've had in forever. So, so soft and comfortable, and easily moldable for your situation. I'm a side and back sleeper with neck problems, and this pillow really takes care of it!
- I love this pillow, it shapes to my head and doesn't make it sink in. I no longer suffer from neck pain and I sleep well! The memory foam makes it heavy to carry, but it's a god send when it comes to supporting your head.
- Great pillow! I had a buckwheat pillow before to help with neck issues I’ve had my whole life.
F1F2 Memory Foam Pillow – Best double-sided pillow
Wondered why do you feel exhausted even after sleeping for straight 8 hours? Here’s what studies have found: This happens because of a particular sleeping stage, called as The Deep Sleep Stage, which provides the most refreshing sleep.
The pillow has both the firm and the soft side, which acts as a double-sided pillow to fit in the requirement list of the customer. The firm side is for the one who prefers a thick fluffy pillow whereas stomach sleepers can use the soft side for a relaxing sleep. F1F2 is the best neck pillow designed in a way that would get you a refreshing morning when you wake up every day.
A pillow that has more than 70 cubes in it is more than a dream come true. Cubes change its shape depending on the applied pressure. Presence of the cubes makes it the best type of pillow for neck pain. No matter what position you choose, the cubes present in it will take care of your neck by providing proper support to fit.
Pros & Cons
- Nanotech Material Graphene is used in the making of this neck pain relief pillow which does not cause hypo-allergenic conditions by quickly absorbing the heat emitted from your body and also controls sweat.
- Besides, you also get an extra changeable pillowcase free along with a heighten sponge pad. Users can easily change the height using it if they wish so.
- Do not forget to completely unzip the L-shaped hidden zipper before taking out the inner pillow.
According to Nightform Lab stated that four crucial elements had been incorporated in this pillow which covers all the areas required to get a good night’s sleep for you. Square cut that is made in the core of the pillow allows a greater air circulation which reduces moisture and heat. Presence of the ultra-soft modal fiber absorbs moisture quickly from the skin and is thus skin-friendly.
Consumer reviews of F1F2 Memory Foam Pillow include comments such as:
- Very soft! I’m a believer in good sleeping as we spend about 1/3 of our time in bed. This pillow is very good for a good sleep. I feel cool sleep on this than the tempur-pedic pillow I have. Overall good quality pillow!
- After a couple of days of using the cubes cervical pillow, I really love it so it's now my favorite pillow. It comes with a highten pad but I arely use that. It fits my stomach sleeping and back sleeping. And also, the customer service is very quikly, like this memory foam pilow!
- I like the pillows to stay cool and fit every sleeping position. I have tried gel and bamboo pillows and quite expensive pillows online. The Cubes is by far the best.
LIANLAM Memory Foam Pillow – One of The Best Pillows For Neck Pain
For an ideal pillow for your sleep? Your search ends here. The fact that you can control your sleep by adjusting the height helps it to acquire a place in the list of best pillows for neck pain available online. Now you must be wondering how you can adjust the pillow? There’s nothing to worry about.
You have to add or remove the foam fillings from inside as per your requirement. The memory foam cross-cut design avoids causing an air-restricted feeling.
The pillow comes with two detachable covers which are machine washable. You won’t need to put extra efforts into cleaning it using hands separately. Also, you can fit other pillows inside these beautiful covers since the design is user-friendly.
The pillow comes in 3 sizes: Standard- 20″ ×26″, Queen- 20″ ×30″ and King- 20″ ×36″ to accommodate every user’s choice. 4D mesh design provides more powerful ventilation and heat diffusion, making it one among the top-rated pillows for neck pain and good sleep.
Pros & Cons:
- Be it be shoulder stiffness, neck pain, or back pain, the memory foam filling present in it gives you relief from the never-ending pain by relaxing the muscles. As a result, you get a good night’s sleep that you’ve been craving for
- One thing you’ve to keep in mind before using it, that is, it requires a lot of time, about 48-72 hours to expand. To spring them, tap it with your hands and leave it in the sun.
A pleasant sleeping environment and wave goodbye to the sweat and sultry pillow along with the neck pain at night. Also, you wouldn’t have to spend time adapting your pillows because it is highly adjustable and can change its thickness according to your need. The outer bamboo pillow cover makes it hypo-allergenic, breathable, machine washable, and odor-free. Remove the high-quality zippers for separate cleaning.
Consumer reviews of LIANLAM Memory Foam Pillow include comments such as:
- I am beyond happy with my purchase!Before I made my first purchase I was very sleep deprived,reason why is because I was a new mom to my then 1month baby.
- This pilow is extremely comfortable to sleep on. It has 2 sides, one hard and one soft. I regularly use the soft side to sleep to maximize my rest time. This pillow is definetly worth the cost. Greatly recommend. Even brought 2 gray pillow cases
- My wife slept on it for 4 nights now, she said it is amazing how this pillow made her sleep better. She is a very light sleeper, I am glad that this helped which made my life easier.
MEWE Memory Foam Pillow – BEST Ergonomic Design Pillow
Has been catering to the needs of sleepy heads for years by providing them pillows to help neck pain. Since it’s made up of breathable memory foam, it provides more air circulation, which in turn keeps you dry and cool.
Ergonomic design is adopted for the manufacturing of the pillow, and it perfectly aligns and supports your neck, head, back, and shoulder. With a five year guarantee period, it also provides a 100% satisfaction guarantee to the customers. Before the first use, leave it for 24 hours, which isn’t much, in a ventilated area.
Memory Foam Pillow is the world’s first “Rebound time smart following” pillow which has passed a compression blood vessel test with flying colors. The outer cover is machine washable and removable, which saves you from laundry trouble. It’s a true friend in your life because CertiPUR-US and OEKO-TEX have certified it.
For neck pain, it is the best cervical pillow offered by MEWE. The US has tested the NeoCloud Memory Foam for 39,000 times to ensure its capability.
Pros & Cons:
- The outer Ice Fabric Memory foam cover when it comes in contact with your skin gives a cool feeling. Point to be noted: All the materials used are completely environment-friendly and chemical-free.
- Initially, you’d face some discomfort, but with time, your body will get adjusted to the correct position. You experience a new level of comfort while using it.
- The soft-touch provides you with a sound and soft sleep by gently cradling your neck, shoulders, and head and acts as the best stress-relief.
The pillow would arrive at your doorstep compressed and rolled inside a box. MEWE is most renowned for providing the best types of pillow for neck pain to customers all across the world. Whether you’re a stomach, side or back sleeper, decades of experience of customers have assured that this is the most comforting pillow they have ever come across.
Consumer reviews of MEWE Memory Foam Pillow include comments such as:
- Had shoulders and back pain nearly all the time. My sister told me about this new pillow she had bought for neck pain relief. So I bought it. Have been using it for a week and no pain in shoulders and very little low back pain.
- Super soft and comfortable! Also smelled good. The materials are in good quality. Can’t wait to use it!
- love this pillow. I have been used it for two weeks and it is very comfortable. The smell is not strong at all. The shape of the pillow supports my neck perfectly. It is definitely worth to buy.
Honeydew Side Sleeper Pillow – Best Neck Support Pillow
A person is unique, and we choose different choosing positions for sleeping at night. While some of us prefer sleeping or our stomach while others prefer the side position. And traditional regular pillows aren’t meant to provide support to your shoulders and neck.
No matter what position you prefer to sleep in, Honeydew Side Sleeper is the best neck pillow you’d ever come across. Regardless of how you sleep, the gently-curved pillow provides natural support to your shoulders. All the pillows are handcrafted traditionally in the USA.
Scrumptious Essence Pillows are perfectly designed with materials that will never flatten out. It looks incredibly luxurious, yet remains pocket-friendly. The materials used are certified to be hypo-allergenic, healthy, which provides sound and cool sleep. Since it’s made innovatively, no matter what position you sleep in, it keeps you aligned. Not only it offers fantastic neck support; it also doesn’t feel like any other pillow.
Pros & Cons
- The perfect blend of materials to manufacture the pillow have been found after years of testing and prototypes, which gives the customer the ideal ratio of softness and support.
- Fiber that is used in the manufacture of the product is of high quality which is stronger and lighter than silk. And guess what, it’s completely hypo-allergenic and provides a long cool night at the same time.
Honeydew, all of the pillows have been quite carefully and beautifully handcrafted, which makes it one of the top-rated pillows for neck pain available online. Remove or add the fill to increase or decrease your height. To mark the end of your day with a night of good, sound sleep, the pillows are designed keeping your health into consideration.
Consumer reviews of Honeydew Side Sleeper Pillow include comments such as:
- I tried many pillows for side sleepers throughout my 75 years. None of them worked for me even though I would tolerate them. I decided to give this one a try one. It's perfect.
- For the past 6 months I've had a sore shoulder and neck pain. I had tried a chiropractor, massage therapy, lotions & potions before I read an article that I might be using the wrong pillow- I did some research and found the Honeydew side sleeper pillow, what a life changer!
- This pillow allows you to remove or add back some of the filling; it was too filled for me at first but is very comfortable after removing some of the fill.
What causes neck pain at night?
Most of the people go through the problem of neck pain all across the globe. Since the neck area is flexible and carries the weight of your head, it is the most vulnerable to injuries. However, there isn’t any single cause for the aching problems. Some of the causes are listed below.
Which are overused damages within a short period? Same goes with the muscles when overused they become strained. If you sit all day long at work desks, your neck muscles get strained. Teeth grinding and awkward sleeping positions might also be the reason. However, “the awkward position” varies from person to person, since our bodies are not all the same.
Increasing age, the neck joints tend to deteriorate just like the other ends; as a result, causing neck pain which could be widely noticed in adults. This condition is what doctors call as osteoarthritis. Cartilages between the vertebrae wear down, affecting the motion of the joint and causes pain.
Going through a spinal problem like bone spurs or herniated disks are often seen having this problem. Their nerves branching out from the spinal cord can’t expand, ultimately gets compressed.
Pain problem can also arise due to any bodily injury caused. The problem becomes acute, especially in automobile accident survivors. People those who have survived from major accidents develop whiplash due to the sudden jerking of their neck backward or forward. Soft tissues present in the neck gets strained.
diseases are responsible for severe neck pain such as spinal meningitis, cancer, or rheumatoid arthritis.
Factors in choosing while buying Cervical Pillows
If you want to find the perfect cervical pillow to ease your neck pain, there are certain factors which you need to keep in mind while going pillow shopping. Follow the points mentioned below to get a clear idea:
The material is used for stuffing pillows play a pivotal role to determine your neck, back, or shoulder position. As of now, the most renowned material used is memory foam and is leading the pillow world. Choose wisely; don’t fall for false, low-quality materials.
Addition to the material, another variable you need to watch is the shape of the pillow. Curve shaped pillows are mostly preferred since they can contour with your body position. It provides support by filling the gap between the mattress and your neck. Pillows having even surface may not provide perfect support to your neck.
Get a lot of options to choose from in this context. About six different sizes are available in both standard sizes and small sizes. As the general rule says, the pillowcase should be one to two inches wide and two to four inches long that the inner pillow.
Loft, or usually known as thickness, also specifies how a pillow feels. They come with three categories:
- less than three inches
- between three to five inches
- more than five inches
- Discuss how loft determines the best sleeping position for neck pain. If you sleep with a pillow under head, then low or medium-loft pillows would be best suited. And if you keep the pillow partially beneath your head, you should use a medium or high-loft pillow.
On the material type, the cost of the pillow increases or decreases. Size, durability, and brand reputation also determine the cost. Customers recommend that it’s better to invest in a quality pillow than a branded one.
Chronic neck pain is accompanied by different symptoms depending on the severity and source. At some point in time, it could be mild while at others, it could be extremely painful, which avoids excessive movement. We’ve listed some of the common symptoms that you’d notice because of chronic neck pain below.
- When you keep your head upright for a long time, it is likely to develop some strain or pain. For example, driving or working at a desk.
- Constant headaches
- Spasms or muscle strain
- Reduced motion around neck and head
- Continuous and severe pain.
- Stiffness experienced while trying to move your head from side to side.
- Pain accompanied by tingling, numbness, headache, or weakness.
- The sensation of tingling and numbness might go beyond the neck and spread to other parts like arms, shoulders, and fingers. The intensity of the pins-and-needles feeling might vary.
- The most noticeable symptom is the headache. Irritation in the neck can affect nerves and muscles connected to the head.
If you don’t treat the problem soon, the symptom progresses, and the neck pain at night makes it difficult to sleep. The continuous aching of the neck disrupts your day-to-day activities such as going to work, getting dressed, and driving. When the neck is associated with numbness, weakness, and tingling, it’s a matter of concern which calls for a consultation with a physician for further evaluation.
Why is Pillow Choice Important for Neck pain?
The Harvard Medical School published an article recommending two best sleeping positions for neck pain, that is, back and side sleeping. However, if you follow these positions, you have to take some of the precautions:
- Dual pillow system is the best for people who sleep on their back. A flatter pillow will provide cushioning for the head, whereas a round pillow will support the neck area.
- For people sleeping on their side, spinal support is essential. Since these people can go through misaligned spine problem if there will not be any support, put an elevated pillow under your neck for best results.
- If you ask which is the best pillow, without any hesitation, we’d recommend feather pillows since they conform closely to the shape of the head and neck.
- While traveling, you might notice some neck pain in the morning when you wake up on the bus, plane, or car. This happens because you’re bound to sleep in a particular position. Horseshoe-shaped pillows are specially designed to mitigate the strains and aches.
- People going through neck pain should avoid using too high or too stiff pillows. If you do so, you won’t be having any stiffness or strained muscles in the next morning.
We hope through this article we could provide answers to your question like- what to choose, where to buy from, how to sleep with neck pain, etc. By referring to this article, go on for pillow shopping to find the right cervical pillow to meet your needs.
In the long run, you will very likely be pleased with the results that the pillow will provide. Just give some time to the new orthopedic pillow that you’ve ordered till you get accustomed to it.
Not only people who have the problem of neck pain are recommended to use it, but every person can also buy it for everyday use.
It’s always better to take prevention; most of you might have heard the phrase related to it. Well, it’s applied here too. Why not take better care of your neck instead of waiting for the damage to be done?